IT Programmer to support Water Information Systems development
Water Information Systems Programmer
Are you a Software/Application Developer, ideally with data science and analyst skills and web development experience?
Water Technology has a vacancy in our Melbourne Office for a talented and enthusiastic IT/ICT/ Hydroinformatics candidate to supplement our team of experts in the areas of software development; web-based SaaS applications and web portal development.
Water Technology is thus looking for a person with applied experience in IT/ICT software development and Hydroinformatics to support our burgeoning real-time Water Information Systems capabilities. (This potentially could be a part-time role to begin and then transition into a full-time role).
Who we are
As one of Australia’s leading professional consulting companies, Water Technology delivers iconic projects that shape our landscapes, support our communities and set the path of our collective future. To do this, we actively seek and nurture the very best people in their respective fields to join our team of over 100 professionals providing support & advice on issues relating to the management of surface water and groundwater resources, watercourses, floodplains and catchments.
In return, we offer remarkable career-shaping opportunities to extend your skills and experience.
Why Water Technology?
Be a part of a high functioning team, where everything we do is inspired by a level of passion and professional pride that comes from being employee-owned. This ownership is what sets us apart and means our people enjoy an unrivalled amount of autonomy in their roles. It helps drive our passion and accountability in how we serve our clients, deliver projects, and pursue new opportunities.
Our commitment to you
Fostering gender balance, diversity and acceptance of family-friendly flexible working is central to the way Water Technology does business. We offer a professional, friendly and inclusive culture based on our core values of achievement, integrity, cooperation, accountability, balance, knowledge and innovation.
A burgeoning area for Water Technology is that of Water Information Systems such as web-based SaaS applications and portals to support the real-time and near real-time operational water management activities of clients. This evolved out of Water Technology’s role as the Australian reseller of HydroNET, an international SaaS platform of Water Applications to support effective information provision for improved decision making by clients.
You will be a member of a team in various projects related to the development and maintenance of a broad range of applications (both web-based and local applications).
Your main activities are to:
- Assist in the design and development of Water Information Systems
- Assist in the configuration and support of HydroNET applications and web portals such as the Flood Report Portal (floodreport.com.au)
- Support existing code, packages and its integrity
- Support the further improvement of existing systems
- Work with Engineers and Scientists in our Water Information Systems, Floodplain and Coastal teams
- Assist in writing reports and preparing presentations for clients related to IT projects;
- Assist in project proposal writing.
Qualifications and Experience
- University education in Information and Communication Technology (specialising in Hydroinformatics desirable), Technology Management, or another closely related field of study.
- Programming experience to develop software and web applications (ideally in the water sector) with data science languages (scripting) and core programming languages.
- Proficiency in R, Python, XML. Especially R.
- Proficiency in RShiny and Shinyapps is desirable.
- Familiarity with Packrat and GIT is desirable.
- Familiarity with LaTeX and Leaflet is desirable.
- Proficiency with communication protocols and Web Services and concepts such as API’s, Web API’s, REST, SOAP. JSON, Ajax and XML is desirable.
- Proficiency in C, C++ is desirable.
- Proficiency in R, Python, XML. Especially R.
- Familiarity with data import, handling, validation and processing and standard data interchange mechanisms and formats such as JSON, XML, CSV, GRIB, Hdf5, Netcdf.
To be seriously considered for this role, you will:
- Be able to make use of Internet-based platforms like Shiny.
- Have experience in developing applications for real-world needs.
- Have advanced programming skills and are interested in new ICT developments.
- Be a quick learner and can function semi-independently.
- Be an excellent team player and can build interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Be an entrepreneur and a good networker, you have a pro-active approach towards the market, and you appreciate a challenge.
- Consider exploring and solving problems as a challenge.
- Have a good command of English in word and writing.
On offer for the successful candidate:
- A competitive salary and benefits package.
- Supportive management and excellent resources.
- An excellent, collaborative team environment.
- Professional development and support of your career ambitions.
- Be part of the Top Techer recognition program.
Water Technology is proud to contribute to increasing the diversity of the Australian workforce. Supporting equity and diversity means supporting opportunities for all candidates to find suitable employment. As an inclusive recruiter and employer, we recognise individual differences, embrace individuals’ strengths and look for opportunities for everyone to achieve their full potential. Our recruitment upholds the principles of merit and equity, and we welcome Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, women, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, LGBTIQ+ and mature age workers.